TRANSLATIONAL CARDIAC MR RESEARCH CENTER
Contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
William S. Kerwin PhD is the Director of Imaging Informatics
for the Altius Institute for Biomedical Sciences and an Adjunct Associate
Professor in the University of Washington Department of Radiology. Dr. Kerwin’s
research interests include the development of image processing and
reconstruction techniques for biomedical imaging, with emphasis on quantitative
imaging, spatio-temporal modeling, and dynamics. In cardiovascular magnetic
resonance applications, Dr. Kerwin has investigated perfusion via dynamic
contrast-enhanced MRI, myocardial strain via MR tagging, blood flow patterns
via phase-contrast MRI, and functional responses to drug treatment. Dr. Kerwin
received his PhD in electrical engineering from the
- W.S. Kerwin and J.L. Prince. A k-space analysis of MR tagging. Journal of Magnetic Resonance, 142(2):313-322, 2000
- W. Kerwin, A. Hooker, M. Spilker, P. Vicini, M. Ferguson, T. Hatsukami, and C. Yuan. Quantitative magnetic resonance imaging analysis of neovasculature volume in carotid atherosclerotic plaque. Circulation, 107:851-856, 2003.
- W.S. Kerwin. High-Pass-Low-Pass (HP-LP) reconstruction of CINE phase contrast MRI. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 52:566-574, 2004.
- F. Liu, D. Xu, M.S. Ferguson, B. Chu, T. Saam, N. Takaya, T.S. Hatsukami, C. Yuan, and W.S. Kerwin. Automated in vivo Segmentation of Carotid Plaque MRI with Morphology-Enhanced Probability Maps. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 55:659-668, 2006.
- W.S. Kerwin, K.D. O’Brien, M.S. Ferguson, N. Polissar, T. S. Hatsukami, C. Yuan. Inﬂammation in carotid atherosclerotic plaque: A dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI study. Radiology, 241:459-468,2006.
- L. Dong, W.S. Kerwin, H. Chen, B. Chu, H.R. Underhill, M.B. Neradilek, T.S. Hatsukami, C. Yuan, X.Q. Zhao. Effect of Intensive Lipid Therapy on the Vasa Vasorum: Evaluation Using Dynamic Contrast-enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Carotid Atherosclerosis. Radiology. 260:224-231, 2011
- Kerwin W, Alessio A, Ferguson M, Hatsukami T, Caldwell J, Miyaoka R, Kohler T, Yuan C. High-resolution Fluorodeoxyglucose-Positron Emission Tomography and Coregistered Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Atherosclerotic Plaque From a Patient Undergoing Carotid Endarterectomy. Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging. 5(5):683-4, 2012.
- Wang J, Börnert P, Zhao H, Zhao X, Balu N, Ferguson MS, Small R, Hatsukami TS, Xu J, Yuan C, Kerwin WS. Simultaneous Non-contrast Angiography and intraPlaque hemorrhage (SNAP) imaging for atherosclerotic disease evaluation. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2013 Feb;69(2):337-45
- W.S. Kerwin, A. Naumova, R. Storb, S.J. Tapscott, Z. Wang. Mapping contrast agent uptake and retention in MRI studies of myocardial perfusion: Case control study of dogs with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 29:819-826, 2013.